Friday, February 17, 2012

Heads to Masks

I allow myself to get ahead of myself so that I don't waste time thinking and have more time fixing mistakes I have made. Bad strategy, maybe, but I end up learning a lot so I don't think I will change the way I am doing anything, as of yet.
So remember what I said about rotomolding? Yeah scratch that, I learned the plastic I used is viscous while on its way to setting, but once the reaction happens it refuses to move. That is when I needed it to move the most, so the rotomolding thing didn't work, BUT that was the only thing that changed. I am still making plastic faces, and I have quite a few of them as of today.
This is the process I went through to get to the faces:
If the picture doesn't show, click on the empty box where it should have been...

Original carved heads in balsa wood
Paper glued in between allowed the halves to split
The heads are numbered and split.


They are placed on the base of the vacuum former.
It was successful! Thank you Tech John Medley!

This is the mold, a vacuum formed sheet of plastic, now I can make multiples of one

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, critiques, Advice, & opinions welcomed...